Animoto slideshow

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Slide Transfer with Nikon D90















My grandmother was an avid photographer and she left me 30 some trays of slides. The last time I pulled out the screen and projector the screen fell apart while trying to put it up. So I decided it was probably the time to digitize the works. I bought a SmartScan 3600 and wasn't very happy with the scans and it sits on my desk collecting dust. I have tried to shoot them with my Fujifilm Finepix 4900zoom and S7000 because of their fantastic macro settings, but they came out with a lot of lens correction problems. I was going thru a bunch of my old videographer equipment stuff way back in the attic and found a slide and neg conversion kit for my long gone JVC video camera. So I started experimenting and got the Kenko Extension Tubes.

So I stuck the 20mm extension tube on my Nikon D90 with the Nikkor 50mm 1.8f lens and with a 52mm-58mm adapter ring from my old Yashica FX2 and then put on the JVC video DP adapter DP-C70U slide conversion tube. To light this I found a sweet spot on my light box and just place the front of this vertically on the lit box making sure I use the floresent white balance setting on my camera.

I went to manual focus and started shooting and converting. Nice thing about this you pull them into lightroom and do all the playing. I plan on trying some HDR with these just to see if I can pull more out of the shadow areas of the slides that are possibly more detailed.

In my next blog I will post some of the converted images.

2 comments:

  1. I liked it!
    I've got a ton of slides ( more than 8 carosels!).
    Do you share your set up? I've got a D60.
    Good on ya Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, It really is incredibly fantastic and informative website. Good to discover your site Very well article! I’m simply in love with it. Projector Screens products can be found at Mccalls Audio Visual Online. Servicing the Greater Sydney area for over 16 years.

    ReplyDelete